Jevremovac Botanic Garden is a department of the Faculty of Biology of Belgrade University. It was opened in 1874 by the Ministry of Education of the Kingdom of Serbia, at the suggestion of Josif Pančić, who was also its first curator. In 1889 King Milan Obrenović presented his estate (which he had inherited from his grandfather Jevrem) to the Belgrade University to be used as a Botanic garden, on condition that it be called Jevremovac. It is still in the same place today under the same name.
The Botanic Garden stretches over approximately 5 hectares, and contains more than 250 species of trees and shrubs, domestic, European and exotic plants growing out in the open, and the total plant stock today is made up of about 500 trees, shrubs and other plants. Apart from the outdoor beds, the Botanic Garden also contains a greenhouse and the offices of the Institute of Botany(administration department, herbarium, library, lecture hall, laboratories. A special attraction of the Botanic Garden is the Japanese Garden.
The Greenhouse, which was erected in 1892, covers an area of almost 500m2. At the time that it was built it was one of the largest and most beautiful greenhouses in this part of Europe. Numerous species of tropical and subtropical plants are grown in the Greenhouse of which the most significant are: Phoenix Canariensis, Chamaerops Humilis and Cereus Peruvinianus.
The Herbarium houses a rich collection of plants from the Balkans and all over Europe amounting to 120,000 herbarium sheets and over 300,000 dried specimens. The Library is one of the oldest and most extensive in this part of the world. Apart from 200 scientific and professional journals it contains more than 6,000 books.
The Botanic Garden is open for visitors from 1st May to 1st November from 09.00 to 19.00.
Takovska 43, tel. 3244-847, 3244-498