On the site of today’s Students’ Square there was once a ploughed field with Turkish gravestones. In the second half of the 19th century it was dug up and levelled, and the Great Market (Velika pijaca) was opened on the site, which was overshadowed by the then-newly erected Captain Miša’s Building (Kapetan Mišino zdanje), with its light coloured façade and reddish decorations and motives around the windows and doors. When Belgrade fell into Serbian hands, the site of what had once been a market was cleared and levelled to make way for a park.
(Studentski trg 1)
This building is the endowment of Captain Miša Anastasijević, a merchant and business partner of Prince Miloš. It was designed by the architect Jan Nevola in 1863 and represents a stylistic mixture of elements of the Gothic, Romantic and Renaissance. Today it houses Belgrade University Rectorate.
(Studentski trg 5)
The building was erected by the great Belgrade philanthropist Ilija Milosavljević Kolarac. It was built in the Academic style and designed by the architect Petar Bajalović. It boasts a large concert hall with excellent acoustics, and an art gallery.
This monument to one of our greatest thinkers and poets was erected on the square in front of the Faculty of Philosophy in 1994. It is the work of Sreten Stojanović.
(corner of Braće Jugovića and Višnjićeva)
This mausoleum is one of the few surviving Turkish buildings in Belgrade. It was erected in 1784 over the tomb of this religious figure, in the courtyard of what was once a Dervish House (‘tekija’).
During Turkish rule the Turks had a cemetery on this spot, but it was removed in the mid-19th century. Later on, the largest and most well-known market place was created on part of what is now a park. Emilijan Josimović, the first Serbian town planner, felt that the site demanded something more aesthetically pleasing than just a market and so after 1869, when work on building regulations began, he reduced the size of the Great Market by a half and converted the remainder into a park. The park began to take on a formal shape at the end of the 19th century, when the monument to Josif Pančić was unveiled, and it assumed its final appearance during the 1930s when the monument to Dositej Obradović was re-sited from Kalemegdan and the present Baroque fence was erected.
The main town square, Republic Square is a rendezvous for young people before they move off to other entertainments. In fact people who are not very familiar with Belgrade usually use this square as a place to get their bearings. When anyone in Belgrade says they will “see you in the Square” (“Vidimo se na Trgu!”) this is the square they are referring to. In the Square are the National Theatre, theNational Museum, the Monument to Prince Mihailo Obrenović III and the Monument to Branislav Nušić.
The square as it is today was formed after the demolition of the Stambol Gate (1866) and the construction of the National Theatre building (1869). The Stambol Gate which was built by the Austrians at the beginning of the 18th century lay between the Monument to Prince Mihailo and the National Theatre. This was the largest and most beautiful gate at the time when the city was still encompassed by a moat. Through it passed the road to Constantinople (Istanbul) from which it derived its name. The Stambol Gate survives in the national memory as the place where the Turks carried out executions of the ‘impoverished rayah’ by impaling on a stake. During the capture of Belgrade in 1806, Vasa Čarapić, a famous general from the First Serbian Uprising, was mortally wounded. A nearby street was named after the event and a monument was erected.
After the establishment of Serbian rule and the demolition of the Stambol Gate, the area of today’s Republic Square long remained undeveloped. For more than 30 years the National Theatre stood as the only building on the site. When the monument to Prince Mihailo was unveiled, the gradual planned development of this square began. A long temporary building which held, amongst other things, the famous Dardaneli inn, a haunt of artists, was erected where the National Theatre now stands. The building was demolished in 1903 to make way for the Funds Administration (today the building of the National Museum). In the small park beside the National Museum, the well known Kolarac inn and cinema stood right until the Second World War. The Riunione Palace which houses the Jadran cinema was built in 1930. The old ground floor and single floor buildings with their merchant’s offices were demolished during the German bombing of 6th April 1941. It was replaced by the largest building in the Square, the Press House (Dom štampe) which houses the City Bistro (Gradska kafana) and the International Press Centre.
The site of today’s Terazije Square was just marsh and open fields outside the city ramparts right up to the 1830s. Terazije got its name from the towers that distributed water from above, which were called water scales (‘terazi’) by the Turks. The intensive construction of Terazije began in 1860 when the water tower was replaced by the Terazije Fountain (Terazijska česma) in memory of Prince Miloš Obrenović.
(corner of Terazije and Balkanska street)
This building was designed by the architect Jovan Ilkić and was built in 1908 as offices and a hotel for the Rosija Insurance Company. It was constructed in the Neorealist style, with elements of Secessionism and was the hub of Belgrade cultural and diplomatic life up until the Second World War.
This was erected in 1860 during the second reign of Miloš Obrenović and is the work of an Italian master. In 1911 it was moved to Topčider and placed at the entrance to the Topčider Church (Topčiderska crkva), but was returned to Terazije in 1975 where it now remains as a monument and fountain.
This was built in the Neo-Renaissance style in 1900 to the design of the architect Milan Antonijević for the Anker Insurance Company.
This building was erected in 1885 for the Belgrade merchant Aleksa Krsmanović to the design of the architect Jovan Ilkić, and is one of his most successful architectural projects. It housed the Court of Aleksandar I Karađorđević from 1918 to 1922. The Unification of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes and the creation of a unified state was proclaimed there on 1st December 1918.
Nikola Pašić Square is located between Terazije, Bulevar kralja Aleksandra and Dečanska, and is the newest of the Belgrade squares. It was built in 1953 when the fountain was installed.
In the first half of the 19th century this was an empty field which was dissected by the Constantinople highway. This part of the road was gradually turned into the street which was initially called Sokače kod “Zlatnog topa” (“Alley by the ‘Golden Cannon'”) after the nearby inn) and then Markova ulica. Not far from where the Federal Assembly now stands, at the top of Vlajkovićeva street, was one of the largest Turkish mosques, the Batal Mosque (Batal-džamija), which was demolished in 1869.
The planned development of the Square began after the Second World War, when the old buildings were demolished, the tram terminus relocated, a fountain installed and the fences around the former Palace Garden and the Federal Assembly removed and a large number of new buildings constructed, including the Trade Union House (Dom sindikata) and the building of the City Administration. This square was for a long time known as Marx and Engels Square (Trg Marksa i Engelsa).
This was unveiled in 1998 on the square which bears the name of this great Serbian statesman. It is the work of the sculptor Zoran Ivanović.
The building of the National Assembly was designed by the architect Jovan Ilkić and construction was commenced in 1906 and completed in 1936 under the supervision of his son, the architect Pavle Ilkić. This impressive building is built in the Classical style with Renaissance elements and is one of the most important achievements of recent Serbian architecture. In front of the entrance to the building are two symmetrical sculptured groups entitled “Black Horses at Play” (“Igrali se konji vrani”), by the sculptor Toma Roksandić.
Slavija is not just the name of the square but a title that signifies a part of Belgrade, a space between Kralja Milana, Beogradska, Makenzijeva, Svetosavska, Bulevar oslobođenja, Deligradska and Nemanjina. All these seven streets meet at Slavija Square and make it a main traffic junction. This roundabout, which vehicles approach from all directions, is a real test for inexperienced drivers.
Until the 1880’s this square was just a muddy pond where the people of Belgrade used to hunt wild duck. When a Scotsman Francis Mackenzie, a well-known businessman, bought the large plot of land above the square and split it up to sell it, the square began to take shape. For a time the square was named after Dimitrije Tucović, a distinguished leader in the Serbian socialist movement, whose bust stands in the middle of the square.
On the square is the Jat Airways terminal.